Mother’s Day is a celebration honoring the influence of mothers in society. Know about the Mother’s Day Facts, Some awesome Mother’s Day Quotes and Dates, and more…
My heart overflows with gratitude and admiration for all that a Maa does. She is the glue that holds us together, and the light that illuminates our lives. Her selflessness, resilience, and unwavering love are truly awe-inspiring.
She has been our role model, confidant, and source of comfort and guidance. Teaching us about kindness, compassion, and respect. She taught us – how to be strong in the face of adversity, how to pick ourselves up after a fall, and how to believe in ourselves even when the world doubts us.
Take a moment and thank your Mother infinity times. Happy Mother’s Day!
“Ya Devi Sarvabhuteshu, Matri Rupena Sanshita,
Namas-tasai Namas-tasai, Namastasai Namo Namaha”
Dates of Mother’s Day:
In general- the Second Sunday of May
2020 – May 10
2021 – May 9
2022 – May 8
May 14, 2023
Mother’s Day Facts and Quotes
Mother’s Day Facts
One of the earliest Mother’s Day celebrations was in Ancient Nepal
In Hindu tradition, especially in Nepal, Mother’s Day is called “Mata Tirtha Aunshi” or “Mother Pilgrimage fortnight”, where mothers are honored with special foods. The day is observed on the new moon day in the month of Baisakh, i.e., April/May. This celebration is based on the Hindu religion and pre-dates the creation of the Greece-inspired and then modern celebration by at least a few centuries since it began during the starting days of Hinduism.
In Greek mythology, the Mothers day type of spring festival was held in honor of the maternal goddess Rhea who was believed to be the mother of many Greek Gods.
Around 250 B.C. Romans celebrated a spring festival called Hilaria which was dedicated to the goddess Cybele. This festival used to be celebrated in March.
Modern Mother’s Day
The modern Mothers Day in the United States dates back to 1868, when Ann Reeves Jarvis of West Virginia organized “Mothers’ Friendship Day,” to promote reconciliation between Union and Confederate soldiers following the Civil War.
After the creation of the Mother’s Day International Association to streamline the intimate day of observance to the second Sunday in May, Woodrow Wilson signed Mother’s Day into law in 1914 to be celebrated as a nationwide holiday.
Did you know The founder of Mother’s Day wasn’t a mom?
Anna M. Jarvis is widely credited with having founded Mothers Day never married and did not have any children. She organized the first Mother’s Day observance in May of 1908 in memory of her mother who died two years ago.
Did you know Anna ultimately wanted to abolish it?
As Mother’s Day became increasingly commercialized, its founder Anna Jarvis spoke out against and ultimately fought to abolish the commercialization of the concept altogether.
Random Mother’s Day Facts
- Many Movies (comedy, drama, horror) have been made based on the theme. Jennifer Aniston starred in Mother’s Day to name one.
- According to the National Federation of Retailers, Mothers Day is a $20 billion industry.
- According to Hallmark, roughly 141 million Mothers Day cards are gifted yearly. How much does an Indian mom get? This is purely from the West.
- Research shows that 54.7% of us take mom out to eat, spending a total of $3.1 billion in the U.S. alone.
- The most popular gift for Mother’s Day is flowers, with over 65% of people choosing to give their mothers a bouquet.
- Mother’s Day is the busiest day of the year for restaurants, with over 92 million Americans dining out to celebrate the occasion.
- In Thailand, Mother’s Day is celebrated on August 12, which is the birthday of Queen Sirikit. On this day, people wear pink to show their love and respect for their mothers.
- In Mexico, Mother’s Day is celebrated on May 10, regardless of the day of the week. It is a public holiday, and children often present their mothers with flowers, cards, and gifts.
- In Ethiopia, Mother’s Day is celebrated in mid-fall and is part of a three-day festival called “Antrosht.” Families gather together to feast and sing songs in honor of their mothers.
- In some countries, such as Russia and Ukraine, International Women’s Day on March 8 is also a day to celebrate mothers.
- Mother’s Day generates billions of dollars in revenue each year, with the average American spending over $200 on gifts, meals, and other items to celebrate the occasion.
Awesome Mother’s Day quotes
You always deserve Extra: Mother’s Day Quotes
Shower love to your Mother, not on a special day, but always. Happy Mother’s Day to all the Mothers out there. Geek out your love in the com box.
Read on –
Nice post. Really, Mother is everything.
I got some nice time reading this. Cheers.